Trademark registration in the USA
What is trademark registration in the USA?
Benefits of trademark registration in the USA with www.fintecharbor.com
- free introductory consultation;
- detailed answers to all questions;
- assistance in paperwork;
- competent legal support;
- fast project implementation;
- confidentiality and a high level of professionalism;
- proactive approach and customer loyalty.
How do we register trademarks in the USA?
- After the initial consultation, we check the designation for protectability and find out if similar or identical designations have already been recorded. If similar designations are applied for registration, we will also let you know.
- You must provide grounds for enlisting a commercial name in the country. In this case, it is a use in commerce or intent to use.
- When the package of papers is ready, we will submit an application on your behalf to the United States Patent and Trademark Office. An alternative option is an international entry under the Madrid Agreement.
The Office performs formal and qualifying tests of the petition. This check allows finding if the rights of third parties have been violated. Sometimes you can get a provisional refusal to record a trademark after the inspection. In this case, you can change the name, logo, sign, or file an appeal within 6 months.
- After all examinations have been passed, the state body publishes the trademark application in a special bulletin. This ensures that any person or organization that objects have 30 days to write a waiver request. Usually, this doesn’t happen. But if such a letter is received, the brand owner will have to respond to it.
- The last stage is the issuance of a trademark certificate.
As a result, information is available, including the registered trademark and its owner. Information will also be recorded if the trademark was sold or donated to a third party. You can also see the application date and publication date in the public register. In addition, there is full information about the company that owns the trademark, including the name and address. Information about the representative who conducted the registration is available.
At the very bottom, you can see the live/dead status. This way, you can determine if the brand is active or has been withdrawn.
To register a trademark in the USA, you should provide the following papers:
- applicant’s name and address (if an applicant is a private person, a copy of passport is required);
- for companies—constituent documents, address, and type of organization, passport of the founder and director;
- applicant’s signature;
- description of the trademark (text slogan, logo design, and any other identification);
- description of the services or products that you will sell under this brand;
- receipts for payment of state fees.
The most difficult part for non-professionals is understanding the classification and choosing the right class. Therefore, you need to contact experienced lawyers to properly execute all documents. There have been cases when long months of waiting ended in vain due to incorrectly completed forms.
br> Tens of thousands of new designations are registered in the US yearly because this market’s competition is huge. Therefore, it is better to submit documents in advance, even before you start selling your goods in the country.